clients. She has also provided litigation support including expert testimony, depositions, lost profit calculations, and assistance in settlement proposals. Mary Lou is also involved in the firm’s business valuation practice. In addition, she is responsible for the firm’s quality control policies and procedures as well as in-house continuing professional education.
Mary Lou has over 37 years of experience, both in the public and private sectors, and in a variety of industries. These industries include:
- Contract construction
- Information technology
- Automobile and equipment dealerships
- Not-for-profit entities
- Employee benefit plans
- She has also served as an instructor for the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants, and the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
Ms. Rutherford received her undergraduate degree in accounting from the University of Montevallo. She subsequently attained a Masters in Business Administration from the University of Alabama in Birmingham. Mary Lou has also earned the Certificate of Educational Achievement in Business Valuations from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Business Appraiser (CBA)
- Certified Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
- Professional Affiliations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Birmingham Chapter of Certified Public Accountants
- Institute of Business Appraisers, Inc.
- Construction Financial Management Association
- Civic Affiliations and Community Service
- Participant in the mentor program for accounting majors at a local university
- Mentor for Institute of Business Appraisers, Inc. members
- Member of the Women’s Leadership Initiative – United Way of Central Alabama, Inc.
- Volunteer fundraiser for various organizations including American Lung Association, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, March of Dimes, and Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure